- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 tbsp thousand island dressing
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Slice tofu into 12-14 even slices and use a towel to press out excess water
- In a bowl, mix together garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, dijon mustard, and herbs.
- Put the tofu in a small sealable container and pour the mixture over it.
- Seal the container and shake gently to evenly distribute mixture. Allow to marinate for up to 1 hour.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and spread the tofu out on the sheet.
- Place under the broiler until you can see the soy sauce starting to caramelize and the tofu darkens (~4-5 minutes)
- Take the baking sheet out and flip the tofu slices over with a fork.
- Broil again for another 4-5 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich by toasting the bread, spreading the dressing on one slice, and adding the 6 slices of tofu, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese on top.
- Before adding the top slice of bread, return the sandwich to the broiler briefly to melt the Swiss cheese on top.